Sunday, April 10, 2011

a good sunday

Today I wore a dress in the sunshine and embarked upon the world to buy pots in which I'll plant little herbs -- mint, for cool, summertime drinks, dill for autumn pickling, and basil for many lovely things.  I stood for the first time on my the grass of my front lawn and envisioned poppies and raspberry bushes and pole beans snaking up a trellis so high.

The daffodils on the dresser are dying, but outside everything is slowly remembering how it is to breathe, to face the sun, to reach upwards and grow.

I am turning out to like the person I'm becoming this year.  I'm more thoughtful, more creative.  A better steward of the earth.  And I'm learning to how to be more like my mom -- nurturing and talented, self-sustaining and brave.

Tonight, I'm going to try to make chili for the first time.  I have plans to include all kinds of things in it that my mother never put in hers -- for that reason, mostly, I'm unsure of my success.

2 comments:

  1. I put carrots in my first chili ever. How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out pretty good. I was scared of chili powder, but I will be less scared, next time.

    I put beer and coffee and bacon in it. And minced garlic. And a touch of cinnamon. But everything else was pretty normal, I think -- red, yellow, orange peppers, onions, beef, kidney beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin.

    I think next time I'll use two different kinds of beans just to mix it up. And more beer and more chili powder.

    Over all, it was pretty successful.

    ReplyDelete