Monday, January 21, 2013

how i go to the woods

How I go to the woods
Mary Oliver

Ordinarily, I go to the woods alone,
with not a single friend, for they are all
smilers and talkers and therefore unsuitable.

I don't really want to be witnessed talking to
the catbirds or hugging the old black oak tree.
I have my way of praying, as you no doubt have yours.

Besides, when I am alone I can become invisible.
I can sit on the top of a dune as motionless as an uprise
of weeds, until the foxes run by unconcerned.
I can hear the almost unbearable sound of the roses singing.

If you have ever gone to the woods with me,
I must love you very much.


1 comment:

  1. Guess I found your writing place. I only wish for more time in my life to do what I love to do also. To write. I see myself in you Deanna. Do you think it is in our Hancock blood?

    ReplyDelete